We are committed to ensuring that your personal information is protected and never misused.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about any aspect of this policy or how The Council handles your information please email our Information Governance Team at email@example.com.
Privacy policies can be complicated. We have tried to make ours as clear and as accessible as possible. To help, we have also summarised how we handle your personal information in our privacy principles below. These principles demonstrate our commitment to protecting your privacy and handling your personal information in the right way and as you would expect it to be handled.
- Will only ask for or collect the personal information we need to provide and improve the service, products and experiences our customers expect.
- Give you control over the personal information we hold about you to ensure it is accurate and reflects your preferences.
- Make sure your personal information is always secure and protected.
- Are fair and transparent about how we use the personal information we hold.
- Only ever use your personal information for the purpose that you trusted us to use it for.
- Respect your choices and will inform you if there are important changes that affect your personal information or how we use it.
- Take responsibility for the personal information that we hold about you.
Who are we?
South Northamptonshire Council is a local authority serving its residents, businesses and visitors with a range of statutory and non-statutory services.
This is our information; if you wish to contact us regarding a data protection or privacy concern or to exercise your rights under the current data protection legislation please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
The Information Governance Team
South Northamptonshire Council
Our Data Protection Officer is the Assistant Director for Law & Governance and can be contacted by sending an email or writing to the address above.
What personal information we collect
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. This is information about you that you give us by filling in forms on our website or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. It includes (but not limited to) information you provide when you register to use our website, subscribe to our services, participate in discussion boards, chat facilities or other social media functions on our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, when you report a problem or make a complaint to The Council. We also collect information to perform our statutory duties such as collecting council tax, processing planning applications and for electoral registration purposes.
The information you give us may include but is not limited to your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, disabilities, health information, personal description and photograph.
- Information we receive from other sources. This is information we receive about you if you use any of the other organisations that provide services on behalf of The Council or work in partnership with us. In this case we will ensure that either the organisation has previously informed you that we will be provided with the information or we will inform you as soon as practicable after the receipt of the information.
How we use personal information
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- To process any orders or service requests you make.
- For the collection of taxation.
- To respond to queries you have or complaints.
- To carry out any of our statutory, regulatory and legislative duties.
- To protect The Council and your account from fraud or illegal activities.
- To protect The Council our customers and partner from crime, we operate CCTV in our council offices and car parks which record images for security purposes.
- To process payments, refunds and to prevent fraudulent transactions.
- With your consent, we may contact you in relation to goods, services, events and other information that you have expressed an interest in.
- To send communications required by law or to inform you of changes to the services we provide you.
- To develop, test and improve the systems, services and products we provide you.
- To comply with contractual or legal obligations to share data with law enforcement.
- For any safeguarding issues which pose a threat to life and freedoms of an individual.
- To send you survey and feedback requests to help improve our services.
- To carry out consultations as required under statute or to improve our services.
- To process booking and appointment requests.
We may use the information we hold about you in the following ways:
- To administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
- To improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- As part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you.
- To make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources.
We may combine information from other sources with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above.
Disclosing your information
- Your personal data is information which identifies and relates to you including your contact details and photographic image and includes information we obtain directly from you or from third parties.
- We may disclose your personal data to third parties where this is necessary for operational purposes in order to facilitate the provision of our services or where required to do so by law.
Statutory Powers and Duties
- Any information provided to us in relation to the statutory duties of The Council will be pursuant to legislation, regulation, codes of practise and by-laws under The Councils statutory powers and duties.
Non-EEA data transfer
South Northamptonshire Council operates within the UK. Information we process is hosted and stored within the European Economic Area (EEA). Sometimes we transfer your personal information outside of the UK, and outside of the EEA, to other countries in which they have facilities.
By submitting your personal information to us, and by using our websites, services and products, you agree to us transferring, storing and handling your personal information in this way.
Summary of the data subject’s rights
- You have the right to amend or withdraw any consent you have provided at any time. This will include marketing consents. Should you wish to do this, please contact us at the address below or alternatively at email@example.com.
- If you have any objections in relation to the processing of your personal data by The Council, you have the right to lodge a complaint with The Council or the Information Commissioner’s Office or with any other relevant supervisory authority.
- You have the right to request from access to and rectification of any inaccurate or incomplete personal data held by The Council.
- You have the right to request that The Council (and anyone processing your personal data on The Council’s behalf) erases your personal data from The Council’s systems and files. (note – there may be occasions in which this is not possible but in such circumstances you will be advised appropriately).
- You have the right to request that The Council provides to you, or a third party nominated by you, a copy of all personal data held by The Council about you in a data portable format.
- You have the right to request a copy of any personal data we hold about you, we do not normally charge for this, you can make this request by filling in a Subject Access Request form or in writing where the request must include the following information:
- full name – including any previous/other names used
- date of birth
- full address
- telephone number
- two forms of identification one of which confirms your address (e.g. passport, driving licence, recent utility bill or bank statement)
- details of the specific information you require and any relevant dates
Send your Subject Access Request and any other matters relating to your data protection rights to:
The Information Governance Team
South Northamptonshire Council
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information security and privacy
We are committed to protecting your personal information. We use appropriate technical and organisational measures, including encryption, to protect your personal information and privacy, and review those regularly. We protect your personal information using a combination of physical and IT security controls, including access controls that restrict and manage the way in which your personal information and data is processed, managed and handled. We also ensure that our staff are adequately trained in protecting your personal information. Our procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we share your personal information with you.
In the unlikely event that we do suffer a security breach which compromises our protection of your personal information and we need to let you know about it, we will do so.
Third-party websites you access through links on our websites will have their own privacy policies. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies.
The majority of our services (websites, services and products) are not generally directed at children. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children.
Where data is provided by parents/ carers for the purposes of service delivery it will be kept in accordance with this policy. Children over the age of 13 are permitted to subscribe certain online accounts and provide data for services they wish to receive.
If you are a child, please do not attempt to become a registered user of our Services or otherwise provide us with any personal information. If we learn that we have inadvertently obtained personal information from a child, we will delete that information as soon as possible.
If you are aware of a child who has provided their personal information to us, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Privacy statement changes and previous versions
We stand behind the commitments we have made. We will never change our policies and practices in a way that will offer less protection for personal information that we already have about you without your consent.