Comments and complaints

Before you submit a complaint please see who should I contact as we may not be the right people you need to complain to

Make a complaint

If you are not happy with the response you receive we will appoint a member of the Joint Management Team to look into the matter further for you and let you have a response within ten working days.

If you are still not satisfied with our response to your concerns, you can pursue the matter further through the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will only investigate complaints which have been through the above process so please give us the chance to try and put things right for you first.

Complain about a Councillor

If you want to complain about the conduct of a member of South Northamptonshire Council or a member of a parish or town council in the district, please see councillor complaints.