Register a new food business

If you run a food business, you must register with us 28 days before you start operating. This applies to any premises used for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food and relates to both new businesses and existing premises which change ownership.

Premises include:

  • Restaurants
  • Pubs
  • Cafés
  • Hotels
  • Shops
  • Canteens
  • Care homes
  • Nurseries
  • Market stalls
  • Mobile catering vans
  • Food delivery vans

If you use your home for a food business you must also register although specific requirements apply to child-minders.

If you supply foods of animal origin such as meat, dairy, fish or egg products to other businesses, your premises may need to be approved by us or the Food Standards Agency, rather than registered.

Register a new food business

When registered, one of our officers will carry out a food hygiene inspection.

Advice is available for new businesses and information on courses we offer including food hygiene training can be found at our Training courses page.

Email if you need any advice as we are happy to provide guidance to help you meet legal requirements and ensure you can gain the best possible rating from the start.