Noise pollution

We are continuing to respond to complaints from the public in relation to noise during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Only essential visits will be conducted if safe to do so. Where possible we will contact individuals by email or phone; please provide these details when you make contact.

We are continuing with enforcement action where this is required and will liaise with the police where needed.

With the majority of complaints received we will be asking for diary sheets to be kept and/or the use of the Noise App where possible.

We would ask people to have consideration for their neighbours and those around you during the coming weeks.

We can take action on noise coming from the following sources:

  • Neighbours
  • DIY
  • Industrial and commercial premises
  • Intruder alarms
  • Car alarms
  • Noise from construction sites
  • Anti-social behaviour

If your complaint is about shouting or arguing in the street or fireworks you will need to contact Northamptonshire Police.

Noise caused by ambulance/police sirens, children playing and day to day activities such as flushing toilets, lawn mowing and vacuuming at reasonable hours are not actionable by any authority.

We operate an emergency out of hours service to provide response to serious or ongoing environmental health related incidents such as noise and smoke complaints. You can contact us out of office hours on 0300 126 7000. A call handler will answer your call and advise you appropriately on what action can be taken. A professional officer can be deployed to an incident if this is appropriate.

For information on how we deal with noise complaints see our noise investigation procedure. You can also download a noise app in support of your complaint

Report noise pollution