A house in multiple occupations (HMO) must have a licence if it meets the following criteria:
- It is occupied by five or more people
- Those occupants form two or more households
A licence will be granted where the:
- House or flat in question is reasonably suitable for occupation by the intended number of occupants
- Proposed licence-holder and manager are fit and proper persons
- The applicant is the most appropriate person to hold the licence
- The manager is either the person having control or an agent or employee of the person having control
The License fee for an application that usually lasts for five years and is not transferable will be charged in two sections Part A and Part B, Part B has a standard charge but any additional charges or reductions will be calculated at this point and the final amount will be sent to you along with the Notice of intention to grant a license.
• Part A must be paid when you make the application. The Part A fee can only cover costs associated with the application process costs. West Northamptonshire Council has calculated the average costs associated with processing the application up to and including the issue of intention to grant a licence (or refuse to grant a licence). This cost has been set at £560.00 per application for both new applications and renewals.
• Part B must be paid when you are sent the “notice of intention to grant a licence”. The Part B fee covers ongoing scheme application, operation of the scheme and enforcement costs. West Northamptonshire Council has calculated the average costs associated with ongoing operation and enforcement of the scheme. This cost has been set at £735.00 per application for both new applications and renewals
Your application is not “duly made” until both fees are paid. Your license will not be issued until The Part B fee is paid.
Other charges or reductions that may be included in the Part B payment
Early Bird Discount for first application -£255.00
Early Bird Discount for license renewal -£555.00
Each additional two persons above five people for maximum occupation £41.00
Supported application process £90.00
Pre-application inspection of the property £180.00
It is an offence not to licence an HMO that is licensable or to not comply with licence conditions.