Housing choices in later life

I’m thinking about moving

We no longer own any housing stock in our district. All the social housing is owned and managed by registered providers (housing associations), but we manage the housing register for these and you need to apply to us in the first instance.

If you are interested in moving to retirement housing provided by a registered provider within our district, you will need to qualify to join our housing register.

You can also apply to our register if you are a social housing tenant of family-sized housing and are thinking of downsizing. We award the highest banding on our housing register, in such cases, though you will still need to wait for a property to become available. Your social landlord may also operate their own transfer list, so do also contact them directly.

Accommodation available locally includes:

To be eligible for this type of accommodation, you must:

  • qualify to join our housing register
  • be aged 55 or over, or live with someone who is 55 or over.

Applications for this type of accommodation can also be considered for people under 55 if you are disabled or have medical needs.

If you are an existing social housing tenant but are considering moving to a different part of the country, another option is to register with Homeswapper.