Apply to join the housing register

Housing application guide

Our Housing Allocations Policy sets out how we assess applications for social housing.

All social housing in the district is owned and managed by Registered Providers (Housing Associations), such as Grand Union Housing Group. We operate a waiting list for social housing in the south Northamptonshire area. This is a 'traditional' waiting list, rather than a Choice Based Lettings bidding system. When a Registered Provider has a vacant home to let, they notify us and ask for the details of a potential applicant. We nominate the potential applicant who is at the top of the list for that size and type of property.

Can I apply for housing?

You only qualify to join the housing register if you have a local connection and a housing need. You may have a local connection if you:

  • have lived in the area for 6 out of the last 12 months, or
  • have previously lived here for 3 out of the last 5 years, or
  • have immediate family members living in the area for 5 years, or
  • are permanently employed in the area.

We may consider that you have a housing need if:

  • you have been asked to leave your home
  • your home is not safe or suitable for you
  • you have a social or medical need to move home
  • you are overcrowded
  • you are downsizing to smaller social housing

Qualifying armed forces personnel and their households are exempt from the local connection requirement.

You may not qualify to join the housing register if you have rent arrears, or can afford to buy or rent your own home.

Applicants should be 18 years old or over. If you are under 18 years old and are homeless, or have support from Northamptonshire Childrens' Trust, we may accept your application.

Even if you're not sure whether these apply to you, do contact us to discuss your circumstances. 

Who can be included on my application?

You can include members of your immediate family or carer who normally live with you or might be expected to live with you. This can include your spouse or partner, dependent children who live with you permanently, close family or a carer.

How do I make a housing application?

  1. Call 0300 126 7000 to find out whether you qualify to join the housing. If we think you qualify, we will send you an application form.
  2. Return your completed application form with supporting documents and we will assess your application.
  3. We write to you to tell you our decision. If you are not happy with the decision, you may request that we carry out a review of our decision.

Choosing areas

You can choose the villages and towns in which you would like to be offered a home. Having the widest possible choice will extend your opportunities for housing.

Some homes may have local lettings policies which give priority to certain groups, such as people living locally or in employment. These local lettings policies override our usual policy when making nominations.

Let us know!

If you’re already on the housing register and your circumstances have changed, such as:

  • any changes in your income or employment
  • your household composition
  • your current housing circumstances
  • any medical conditions which are adversely affected by your current accommodation

please call 0300 126 7000 to advise us. You may be required to complete additional paperwork to enable us to update our records and re-assess your application.

What sort of home could I be offered?

  • Single person or couple
    • bedsit
    • one bedroom flat
  • Single person or couple
    • (aged 60 years or over/ medical or mobility needs) bedsit in sheltered accommodation
    • one bedroom flat or bungalow
    • two bedroom flat or bungalow
  • Household expecting first child/with one or two children
    • two bedroom flat or house
  • Household with three children/four children all of the same sex or two of each sex/two children of opposite sex, one of whom is over 10 years old
    • three bedroom maisonette or house
  • Household with four or more children
    • four bedroom house

Priority Banding Scheme

Priority band 1

  • urgent need to move on medical grounds
  • social housing tenants moving out of an adapted property in the district
  • social housing tenants who are overcrowded
  • social housing tenants downsizing from family housing to sheltered or extra care housing
  • moving on from supported accommodation or hospital

Priority band 2

  • homeless or at risk of homelessness
  • social housing tenants living in the district downsizing
  • high need to move on medical grounds
  • high need to move on social/welfare grounds
  • armed forces personnel with a housing need
  • separated family due to no suitable accommodation

Priority band 3

  • overcrowded needing one extra bedroom
  • sharing facilities with an unrelated household
  • moderate need to move on medical grounds
  • moderate need to move on social/welfare grounds
  • social housing tenants needing to relocate to find or retain work
  • care leavers with a connection to Northamptonshire

Priority band 4

  • intentionally homeless
  • armed forces personnel with no housing need
  • low need to move on medical, social or welfare grounds