Apply to join the housing register

We do not have any council-owned housing in this district but we do manage the housing register (waiting list) for a number of registered providers (housing associations). If you qualify for the housing register, we will nominate you to a registered provider, when they have a suitable property to let.

How do I apply?

  • You need to call us on 0300 126 7000 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm) to find out if you qualify to join the housing register. If we think you qualify, we will tell you how to access our on-line application form.
  • When you complete the application form on-line you will be asked to upload supporting documents, such as proof of identity.
  • If you are unable to apply on-line, we will send you a paper application form.
  • When we have all of the necessary information, we will assess your application.
  • We will write and inform you of our decision. If you are not happy with the decision, you have the right to request a review.

To qualify to join the housing register you need to have a local connection and a housing need.

  • You may have a local connection if you have lived in the area for 6 out of the last 12 months, or have previously lived here for 3 out of the last 5 years.
  • We generally consider that you have a housing need if you have been asked to leave your home or your current home is not safe or suitable for you.
  • There could be many reasons why you have a housing need - please do give us a call to discuss.

For more information see our Housing Application Guide.

Tell us about a change

If you’re already on the housing register and your circumstances have changed, such as:

  • any changes in your income or employment
  • your household composition
  • your current housing circumstances
  • any medical conditions which are adversely affected by your current accommodation

please call 0300 126 7000 to advise us. You may be required to complete additional paperwork to enable us to update our records and re-assess your application.

Want to move to the south Northamptonshire area?

If you are a council or housing association tenant in another part of the country and want to move to south Northamptonshire, find out more at Homeswapper.