Keeping warm at home

Advice is available to improve the energy efficiency of your home and some households may qualify for financial assistance to make energy improvements.

  • Advice
    Northants Warm Homes is a partnership between all Northamptonshire councils. They provide help and advice to all residents of Northamptonshire who want to lower their fuel bills through insulation and other home energy improvements.
  • Financial Assistance
    There are various schemes that provide financial support or carry out energy efficient measures. These include:
    • Replacement or repair of boilers and storage radiators
    • Insulation
    • Connections to district heating schemes

For information or to find out if you are eligible for the above support, contact your energy supplier; visit Ofgem's ECO website or call the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234, or visit the energy grants calculator.

Additional assistance may be available to people receiving certain benefits and who live in private domestic properties.

Landlords and Tenants

  • All properties advertised for rent (except those that are exempt e.g. individual bedsits) must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) that is less than 10 years old.
  • All homes must be free from excessive cold.
  • A tenant can apply for consent to carry out energy efficiency improvements in privately rented properties.
  • From April 2018, it will be unlawful to rent out a premise that does not reach a minimum energy performance rating 'E'.