From 1 June 2019 landlords will be limited to what fees they can charge tenants under a new Assured Shorthold Tenancy, Student Accommodation and Licenses to occupy houses within the private rented sector in England.
If you entered into your tenancy prior to 1 June 2019 then the relevant fees will still be chargeable until 31 May 2020 but only where the charges are required within your existing tenancy agreement.
Therefore, from 1 June 2020 the ban on fees will apply to all of the relevant tenancies or licenses to occupy houses within the private rented sector in England this will include renewal of tenancies.
The only payments you can be requested to pay after the relevant dates are:
- The Rent
- A refundable tenancy deposit which is capped at no more than five weeks rent where your total annual rent is less that £50,000 or above. The deposit must be held within a tenancy deposit protection scheme.
- A refundable holding deposit ( to reserve the property) capped at no more than one weeks rent
- Payments to change the tenancy but only when requested by the tenant which is capped at £50, or reasonable costs incurred if higher
- Payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, only when requested by the tenant
- Payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV license and Council Tax
- A default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the house, where required under a tenancy agreement
For each breach a financial penalty limited of £5000 can be issued upon the party who was in receipt of the original fee, multiple penalties can be issued simultaneously for multiple breaches. If a landlord or agent breaches the ban again they will be liable for a financial penalty of up to £30,000 or prosecution.
For assistance in regards to enforcement action against a landlord or agent for any of the above breaches please contact:
Northamptonshire County Council
Trading Standards Service
Wootton Hall Park
tel: Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06
fax: 01604 362425
web: Northamptonshire County Council Trading Standards