Licensing of rented accommodation

Some houses in multiple occupation (HMO) require a licence from us to operate.

If five or more people, not of the same household, are living in a property and share a facility such as a kitchen, bathroom or toilet, it must be licensed with us. This is because HMO's present a greater risk to the safety of the occupiers.

We will issue a licence with conditions on how that property can be used and managed. It will state how many people and households can occupy the house.

We keep a public register of all licences issued. If you wish to know more about the HMO standards required in South Northamptonshire or if a house is licensed, please view the HMO register.