Discharging planning conditions

The discharge of a planning condition involves a formal application process where details relating to an approved development can be considered and a decision made on their acceptability. Please apply in writing and provide the following details:

  • the planning application number
  • a plan showing the application site
  • details of the conditions the application relates to
  • a contact address for the applicant

You can submit your application on the planning portal, or by email to planningdevelopmentcontrol.snc@westnorthants.gov.uk.

Apply for approval of details reserved by condition


The fees for submitting an application to discharge a condition are:

  • £34 for all householder development (extensions to dwellings, outbuildings)
  • £116 for all other types of development
  • £0 for listed building consent conditions

Where an application is submitted to simultaneously discharge several conditions, only one fee is required. We may refuse your application if it is submitted with incomplete information and you will have to apply and pay a fee again.

Make a payment for discharge of condition

Preferred method of payment

Wherever possible, please pay online using a debit or credit card.  You will need to quote your reference number.  If this is not available quote "postal/email application".

Pay discharge of condition fee

Note: this form is not required if using the planning portal, as payment is taken when using that service. This form is only for applications emailed to  planningdevelopmentcontrol.snc@westnorthants.gov.uk.

How long does it take?

This process takes up to eight weeks from the date the office receives a valid application. The process cannot be fast-tracked or prioritised, so it is important to plan ahead for your start date, or for when your current permission is due to expire.

Lawful Development Certificate

If you require formal confirmation that the proposal has been built in accordance with the plans/within time and is lawful then you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for existing use. This application attracts the same fee as a planning application depending on the proposal.