The Strategic Development Framework has been produced as an evidence base to inform the master planning process and co-ordinate future development in the west of Northampton, in recognition of the large scale of development coming forward and in order to avoid piecemeal, disjointed development as seen in other parts of the county. The document has been produced in collaboration with Northampton Borough Council, Daventry District Council, Northamptonshire County Council and the West Northamptonshire Joint Planning Unit.
The document has been designed to:
- Operate planning and decision making across boundaries (through partnership and co-ordination)
- Be a live 'tool' for discussion with stakeholders and landowners
- Operate at a large spatial scale to help plan strategic infrastructure and strengthen links between town and neighbouring centres
- Protect and enhance important natural, cultural or heritage assets
- Provide an opportunity to enhance facilities and services lacking in the vicinity (ie sports pitches provision, community facilities, health care provision etc.)
The SDF does not constitute planning policy, but it is consistent with and amplifies the Joint Core Strategy (JCS) strategic policy framework of providing a ‘plan-led’ approach to guide development of the Sustainable Urban Extension. The SDF does not therefore in any way alter or add to JCS policies and whilst it will constitute a material planning consideration when assessing planning applications, it has limited weight and will play a limited role in the formal application determination process.