When you buy a house or land your solicitor will usually go through a number of checks to make sure there are no problems that would restrict use or could result in a charge being directed at you as the owner of the property.
As part of one of those checks it is usual to have a local land charges search undertaken. This is usually organised by your solicitor on your behalf, but can also be carried out yourself as a "personal search".
Depending on what questions have been asked, the local land charges search will, among other things, identify:
- the planning history of the site and any queries arising over its use
- any planning policies which affect the site
- any developments directly affecting the site
- environmental issues affecting the site (eg flood plains and radon gas areas)
How to submit requests
Please note: During the Coronavirus outbreak we are operating remotely and therefore would advise that search request forms ( LLC1& CON29R ) be emailed to email@example.com and payments made via BACS or Debit or Credit cards. Please contact the land charges department for further information.
We are currently working within the 10 working days turnaround times.
- Email search forms through to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post forms to South Northamptonshire Council, Land Charges, The Forum, Moat Lane, Towcester NN12 6AD
- Cheque payable to South Northamptonshire Council
- Pay by BACS, Debit or Credit Card over the phone
- LLC1 and CON29 2007 forms x2: The Law Society holds the copyright to form CON29
- Available from, Oyez Forms: OneAdvanced, LexisNexis Smart Forms, Peapod Legal Office
- Available from Shaw & Sons Ltd: FormEvo
- 2 copies of an up-to-date plan
Turnaround time will be between 5-10 working days.
|CON29R and LLC1||£136 (Including VAT on CON29R element)|
|CON29R excluding LLC1||£92.50 plus VAT (£111)|
|Additional parcel CON29||£18.80 [£16.80 (CON29 inc.vat) +£2 ( LLC1)]|
|Additional parcel fee LLC1||£2|
|LLC1 Only (search of the register)||£25|
|CON29O [(Optional enquiries) excluding Question 4&22)]||£10 each plus VAT|
|CON29O Question 22||£11 plus VAT|
|CON29O Question 4||£4.50 plus VAT|
|PART 3 Own worded enquiries||£30 plus VAT|
|COPY Planning consents||see planning register|
Request copy documents
- Highway extent of public highway and adopted roads enquiries: email@example.com
- Section 106 copies: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal search is a search of the public registers by a search company or an individual - this is restricted to a search of the register only and does not include CON29 information.
If you have any questions please call us on 01327 322048 or 01327 322116.