When you buy a house or land your solicitor will usually go through a number of checks to make sure there are no problems that would restrict use or could result in a charge being directed at you as the owner of the property.
As part of one of those checks it is usual to have a local land charges search undertaken. This is usually organised by your solicitor on your behalf, but can also be carried out yourself as a "personal search".
Depending on what questions have been asked, the local land charges search will, among other things, identify:
- the planning history of the site and any queries arising over its use
- any planning policies which affect the site
- any developments directly affecting the site
- environmental issues affecting the site (eg flood plains and radon gas areas)
How to submit requests
- Use online search providers
- Email search forms through to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post forms to South Northamptonshire Council, Land charges, The Forum, Moat Lane, Towcester NN12 6AD
- Cheque payable to South Northamptonshire Council
- Pay by Debit or Credit Card over the phone
- LLC1 and CON29 2007 forms x2: The Law Society holds the copyright to form CON29, which can be obtained from most publishers eg Laser Form, Oyez, Shaw & Son in electronic or paper format
- 2 copies of an up-to-date Land Registry plan
Turnaround time will be between 5-10 working days.
- LLC1 and CON29R (full search)
£110.20 ( includes VAT for CON29 element )
- Additional parcel CON29
£14 (plus VAT)
- Additional parcel LLC1
- LLC1 Only (Register search )
- CON 29R only (no LLC1)
£81 (plus VAT)
- CON 29O (Optional enquiries excluding Questions 4 and 22)
£10 (plus VAT)
- CON 29O Question 4
£4.15 (plus VAT)
- CON 29O Question 22
£10.50 (plus VAT)
- PART 3 Own worded enquiries
£30 (plus VAT)
Request copy documents
- Highway extent of public highway and adopted roads enquiries: email@example.com
- Section 106 copies: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal search is a search of the public registers by a search company or an individual - this is restricted to a search of the register only and does not include CON29 information.
If you have any questions please call us on 01327 322076 or 01327 322116.