Public rights of way

We will safeguard existing rights of way wherever possible. We consider the effect of a development on a public right of way as a material planning consideration. All efforts must be made to retain them on their current line.

If a proposed development necessitates a footpath diversion and the circumstances are sufficiently exceptional to merit planning approval being given despite this, we may be prepared to accept a diversion application.

To apply for a diversion, or to ‘stop-up’ a public right of way please complete an application form and submit this together with the required supporting documents to:

West Northamptonshire Council
Legal Services
The Forum
Moat Lane
NN12 6AD

Incomplete applications will not be registered until all supporting documentation has been received.

There is an initial fee of £1,200 to process your application. Please make cheques payable to West Northamptonshire Council.

Apply to divert or stop up a public right of way

Applying for a temporary closure

For more information please see Rights of Way.

For further information or advice please email