Universal Credit

Universal Credit is part of the Government's welfare reform program. It is a new benefit that is replacing six existing in-and-out of work benefits for working-age applicants.

Universal credit has been available in the South Northamptonshire Council area since 14 November 2018.

Claims for Universal Credit are made to the Department for Works and Pensions not us. To find out more please visit the DWP Universal Credit website.

All claims for Universal Credit are made online. If you don't have your own access to the internet this is available free of charge at The Forum. A dedicated telephone line to Universal Credit is also available.

If for any reason you have any questions about, or need help with the online claim form, you can contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644. Alternatively if you require support to complete the online claim for Universal Credit please contact us on 01327 322140 to make an appointment.

Please remember we still administer Council Tax Reduction for Universal Credit claimants. You can claim this to help with paying your council tax bill.

If you are a Universal Credit claimant and need further help with paying your shortfall in rent you can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment if you receive the Housing Element of Universal Credit. Please contact us on 01327 322140 for more information.