Are you entitled to a discretionary housing payment? You may be if you receive housing benefit but are still struggling to pay your rent.
We cannot make a discretionary housing payment if:
- you pay rent but are not entitled to housing benefit
- Your income has been reduced because you are repaying an overpayment of benefit
Discretionary housing payments are not normal benefits. We make them from a limited fund that the Department for Work and Pensions gives us each year. We do consider each case on its own merits, but cannot guarantee that your application will be successful.
When making a decision we will take into consideration following factors:
- any special circumstances you might have
- any overlooked income which may become available
- whether you are able to reduce your outgoings
- whether you could move to cheaper accommodation
If you think you qualify, apply
For more information please see the Discretionary housing payment policy.