Backdated claim

We normally award housing benefit and council tax reduction (CTR) from the first Monday following the date of an application.

If you have made a late application and you want us to backdate your claim, the law requires you to show us that you have demonstrated ‘good cause’. For example, this would apply if you were ill or in hospital and had no one to make the claim on your behalf.

We cannot award a backdated benefit or reduction claim that is older than one month.

Make a backdated claim

You can request a backdate by emailing