Reconsiderations and appeals

If you disagree with a decision made on your housing benefit and/or council tax reduction claim you can either

  • ask us to reconsider
  • appeal against our decision

You must do this by letter within 21 days of the date of the original decision.

You can email or call us on 01327 322140 if you do not understand the decision made on your claim.

Ask us to reconsider

You can write to ask that we reconsider our decision. This must be done within one month of the date of our letter. You must give full reasons why you disagree with our decision. We will then review this and advise you of the outcome.

Appeal against our decision

Please write to us within one month of the date of our decision. We will then look again and tell you what the outcome is. If we do not change our decision, we will pass your case to Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS).

Your letter should confirm which decision you are appealing and why you are appealing it. Your appeal letter should be sent to us in the first instance, as you cannot appeal directly to HMCTS. Please make sure that your letter is signed and that it is marked with the word ‘appeal’.

All letters must be sent to:

West Northamptonshire Council
The Forum
Moat Lane
NN12 6AD