You may get housing benefit if you:
- pay rent
- are on a low income or claiming benefits
- have savings below a certain level - usually £16,000
You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner only one of you can get housing benefit.
Use the benefits calculator to check your eligibility or contact us on 01327 332140.
Usually you won’t get housing benefit if you:
- have savings over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee credit of Pension Credit
- live in the home of a close relative
- are a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
- reside in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
- are an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
- are subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds
Please note you can’t get housing benefit and Universal Credit at the same time (unless you’re in certain kinds of supported housing).
The benefit cap puts a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get.