Make a housing benefit claim

You may get Housing Benefit if:

  • you pay rent
  • you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
  • your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000

You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner only one of you can get Housing Benefit.

However, as you now live in a Universal Credit full service you can only get Housing Benefit if you also fall in one of the following groups:

  • You live in supported accommodation
  • You live in temporary accommodation
  • If you are entitled to the Severe Disablement Premium
  • You and your partner are both of pensionable age

Instead you will need to claim help with your housing costs from Universal Credit. If you are unsure whether you should claim Universal Credit or Housing Benefit, please contact us on 01327 322140.

Use the benefits calculator to check your potential Housing Benefit entitlement or contact us on /01327 322140.

Usually you won’t get Housing Benefit if:

  • your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee Credit of Pension Credit
  • you live in the home of a close relative
  • you’re a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
  • you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
  • you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • you’re subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you can’t claim public funds
  • you are in receipt of Universal Credit

The benefit cap puts a limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get.

You can only claim Council Tax Reduction for help with your Council Tax from the Council. This is not included in Universal Credit. If you wish to claim help with your Council Tax please complete claim below.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

You can also download a pdf version of the application form or contact us on the number above if you would like to receive a paper version.