Other licences

Caravan site licences (caravans and tents)

There are three main types of caravan site licence:

  • permanent residential
  • holiday static (seasonal)
  • touring

Permanent residential site

  • The licence holder owns the site and mobile home owners lease a pitch. Some sites have mobile homes to rent as well
  • There is a fee for permanent residential caravan sites. The fee depends on the number of units on the site
  • A £57 Park Rules deposit must be paid to us

The current fees for permanent residential sites are

Fee type 1 to 10 pitches 11 to 30 pitches 31 to 99 pitches 100 + pitches
Application Fee £168.00 £252.00 £319.20 £397.60
Fee on grant £132.00 £198.00 £250.80 £312.40
Annual Fee £235.00 £300.00 £375.00 £450.00
Transfer/amendment £175.00 £175.00 £175.00 £175.00
Lodging of rules £75.00 £75.00 £75.00 £75.00
Replacement licence £50.00 £50.00 £50.00 £50.00

Holiday static caravan site

  • Some have individually owned static caravans for use solely by caravan owners, and some have static caravans available for rent
  • A licence for a holiday caravan site is free
  • Read the seasonal static licence conditions

Holiday touring site

  • A site that is licensed for touring units such as caravans, camper vans, motor homes and tents
  • A licence for a touring caravan site is free
  • Read the touring site conditions

Apply for a caravan site licence

To apply for a caravan site licence, you need to complete the following steps:

  • Contact the planning department to confirm if you need planning permission
  • If you are applying for a permanent residential caravan site licence, there will be a fee. Calculate your fee using our fees table above
  • You will need to include details of waste disposal and tell us the number of caravans proposed to be on the site at any one time
  • Attach a layout plan of the proposed site. This can be a photograph or a scan, and must show all of the features required by the licence conditions. Please email licensing.snc@westnorthants.gov.uk if you require more details

Apply for a Caravan site licence

Transfer a licence

If a site licence holder ceases to be the occupier of the land, they may, with our consent, transfer the licence to the person who becomes the occupier of the land. The new owner needs to apply for the transfer.

In the case of permanent residential sites, there is a charge and we carry out checks before granting the transfer.

To apply for a site transfer, please email licensing.snc@westnorthants.gov.uk

Appeal against a decision

We may attach to a licence such conditions as we feel fit with respect to the use of the site. We issue different conditions for different sites. Please check the government's Model Standards document for guidance.

An applicant has the right to appeal against conditions attached to a site licence. An appeal must be made to the magistrates' court within 28 days of the licence being issued.

We may, at any time, change, cancel or vary the licence conditions. Before doing so, the licence holder will be given an opportunity to make representations. No alteration becomes effective until written notification has been received by the licence holder.

Offences and penalties

Our officers have the right to enter, at all reasonable hours, land which is used as a caravan site or in respect of an application for a site licence has been made.

It is an offence for a site licence holder to fail to comply with any conditions attached to the licence. If we are satisfied that a breach of a condition under a site licence has occurred, in the first instance we would serve a compliance notice. If the notice is not complied with we can instigate proceedings in the Magistrates' Court.

If, after having been convicted of breaching site licence condition(s) on three or more occasions, a site licence holder continues to break conditions of the licence, the local authority may, instead of instigating further proceedings, apply to the Magistrates' Court to have their licence revoked.

Where revocation is ordered, another licence may not be issued in respect of land to the same holder for at least three years.