Council tax reduction

Council tax reduction (CTR) is a means tested discount that is applied to your council tax bill.

You may be entitled to CTR if you are on a low income and struggling to afford your council tax bill.

See the benefits calculator to see if you're eligible for CTR.

You may qualify for Second Adult Rebate if a second adult (other than a partner or jointly liable person) is living at your property and is on a low income.

CTR is not the same as a single persons discount, which is available if you are the only adult living in a property.

For 2016/17 a working age household can receive a maximum reduction of 91.5 per cent of their bill. This means that if you are of working age, you would still have to pay at least 8.5 per cent of your bill.

Pensioners currently receive more favourable rules.

Make a claim for council tax reduction

If you need help or advice contact our money advice service.