Council tax bands and levels

Council tax banding

Your bill shows the council tax band that has been allocated to your property by the Valuation Office Agency.

Band Range of values in £
A Up to 40,000
B Over 40,000 and up to 52,000
C Over 52,000 and up to 68,000
D Over 68,000 and up to 88,000
E Over 88,000 and up to 120,000
F Over 120,000 and up to 160,000
G Over 160,000 and up to 320,000
H Over 320,000

Inspecting council tax valuation lists

The council tax valuation list and rating list may be inspected at the Valuation Office Agency's website or at:

Valuation office agency
3rd Floor
Northgate House
Sheep Street

Telephone: 03000 501501

Mixed use properties

Properties in mixed use, known as composite properties, will have a rateable value to reflect their non-domestic part, and a band to reflect their domestic part. Composite properties are liable to pay both taxes, albeit on different parts, and so appear on both the valuation and rating list.

Appeal a tax band

The Council Tax Banding for your property is set by the Listing Officer of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). The VOA is part of the Inland Revenue. They then tell us which band your property is in.

If you think the council tax band is wrong, you have six months to appeal. This is from the date you moved in to the property..

Even if you appeal you must continue to pay your council tax based on the current band of your property. If your appeal is successful, we will send you a refund for any overpayments you have made.

If you want to appeal you should contact:

The Listing Officer
Valuation Office Agency
3rd Floor, Northgate House
Sheep Street

Telephone: 03000 501501