Temporary Event Notice

Apply If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event anywhere in England or Wales involving any licensable activities, you will need to submit a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Licensable activities include:
  • selling alcohol
  • serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • providing entertainment (e.g. music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • serving hot food or drink between 11:00pm and 5:00am
You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence, e.g. holding a wedding reception at a community centre.


Your event must:
  • have less than 500 people at any one time including staff running the event
  • last no more than 168 hours, or 7 days
You must be at least 18 to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

Number of notices you can apply for

You will need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can get up to 5 TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.

A single premises can have up to 15 notices applied for in 1 year, as long as:
  • the total length of the events is not more than 21 days
  • 1 person doesn't make more than 5 applications for the premises

'Late TENs'

You can apply for a 'late TEN' up to 5 working days before the event. You can apply for up to 10 late TENs per calendar year.

If you are organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24 hour gap between them.

If you don't hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 5 notices (of which up to 2 may be late).

If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 50 notices (of which up to 10 may be late). You can complete a temporary event notice and submit it online below: If you prefer to fill out a paper form you can download one below: by emailing licensing@southnorthants.gov.uk

or by telephoning 01327-322278

The council needs two forms which can be submitted (together with payment of £21) online, by post or by hand.

A copy must also be served on the Northamptonshire Police
Will Tacit Consent Apply? Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.
Trade Associations

Contact details

Licensing Team
Email this service
01327 322278

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback