Registering to vote

Notice of Review of Entitlement Letter

Final reminder letters have been sent to residents across South Northamptonshire warning them they will be removed from the electoral register unless they confirm their details within 14 days.

Under the national Individual Electoral Registration guidelines, the shared elections team at Cherwell District and South Northamptonshire Councils is required to undertake an annual review of elector details.

Those who failed to confirm or update their details during the annual canvass earlier this year have now been sent final reminder letters asking them to confirm their details within 14 days or they will be removed from the electoral register.

How to respond if you are still resident at your property?

You will need to reply either by letter or email and state that you are still residing at the property.

Please email

If you are responding to a review of registration letter via email, we will process your request and please be assured that this auto reply serves as acknowledgement that you responded within the required time period and you will receive an email confirmation by the end of January 2017.

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in elections and referendums.

You can use this service to:

Registration takes around five minutes and you'll need your National Insurance number and date of birth.

Why Register?

If you are not on the register, you can't vote. Don't lose your right to vote.

The Electoral Register is often used by credit reference agencies and mortgage companies. These companies check the register when people apply for credit in order to counteract fraud.

Everyone who is eligible is required to register by law, even if you choose not to vote.

For more information on the electoral register, see: types of registration available.

The Electoral Register

The electoral register is a list of everyone who is entitled to vote. You can only vote in elections if your name appears on the electoral register.

Deadlines for registering vary depending on whether or not an election is coming up.

Please note that registering for Council Tax does not mean that your name is automatically added to the register of electors.

The Council Tax register and the electoral register are two separate registers and are completely different.

Who has to register to vote?

You must register to vote if you are a UK resident, aged 18 years or over and either a British, Irish, Commonwealth or European Union citizen.

You can only register at the address where you are living. Sixteen or 17 year olds should also be registered to ensure that they can vote as soon as they reach 18. Qualifying commonwealth citizens are those who have leave to enter or remain in the UK.

If you are unsure as to whether you, or anyone in your household, qualify to be included on the register please refer to the more detailed information included on the voter registration form or visit About My Vote .

Please also see:

Contact details

Electoral Services
Email this service
01327 322128

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback