How do I find out about a planning decision?

All planning decisions issued after April 2005 are available digitally and can be viewed online. You are able to download them for free if the decision is available. See instructions below:

Screen shot of planning portal top tabs

All planning decision notices from 1974 up to present day should be available from the "Documents" tab as outlined above. They can be downloaded free of charge to your computer.

If you discover a record where the planning decision notice is not available, please email or ring 01327 322237 and notify a member of the development support team, who will be happy to investigate and make the document available where possible.

SNC have digitised the majority of planning applications from 1974 up to present day. Before these can be exported all personal information contained within them needs to be redacted. If you would like to view a planning file in its entirety, please notify the development support team using the methods above, and they will endeavour to make the information available within a reasonable time period. Please note that some planning applications contain in excess of 200 pages, so this time period may vary.

Who makes planning decisions?

Decisions on the majority of smaller planning applications are made by officers under what is called 'delegated powers'. Other applications are generally decided by the Development Control Committee.

Can I challenge a planning decision?

Currently there are no third party rights of appeal through the planning system against a decision of a Local Planning Authority. Therefore, if you have concerns about a planning application and permission is granted, you cannot appeal that decision. Any challenge under current legislation would have to be made outside the planning system through a  process called Judicial Review (JR). Read more about challenging a decision.

Appeals to the Secretary of State

If the applicant is aggrieved by the decision to refuse permission for the proposed development or to grant subject to conditions, then they can appeal to the Secretary of State under Section 78 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990.

They must do so within six months (12 weeks in the case of householder development) of the date of the decision notice to the Planning Inspectorate, Temple Quay House, 2 The Square, Temple Quay, Bristol, BS1 6PN - Tel ( 0303 444 5000 ).

Information on appeals made to the Planning Inspectorate, in relation to a decision made by the Local Planning Authority on an application, can be found on the documents tab of the application on the planning register.

If you know an appeal has been made then up-to-date information can be found on the planning inspectorate website.

Contact details

Planning Technical Support
Email this service
01327 322237

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback