Older persons and supported housing

Older persons housing is accommodation designed especially for older people. This offers independent living with security and peace of mind.

The types of properties in south Northamptonshire that are considered older persons housing include:

Older persons housing

To be eligible for older persons you must be:

  • aged 60 or over
  • aged under 60 with health / mobility issues
  • qualify to join the housing register
  • assessed as having a housing related support need
  • willing to pay the minimum charge for an alarm that is fitted in this type of accommodation
  • willing to pay for support if it is needed but not funded by the local authority or health authority
If you are interested in older person housing and think you may be eligible, you will need to apply to join the housing register. Your application will be assessed by our medical advisor. The medical advisor will also establish any requirement for adaptations.
Extra care retirement Housing

Extra care retirement housing provides older people with their own home and tenancy within a support and care environment. Appropriate personal and housing support are available as required to maintain independence.

To be eligible for extra care retirement housing you must:

  • qualify to join the housing register
  • have a need for extra care housing related support
  • be willing to pay for housing related support

If you are interested in extra care retirement housing and think that you may be eligible, you will need to apply to join the housing register.

The Housing Options Team will also give you information about attending an interview with the extra care scheme manager.

Lifeline phone

If you are disabled or an older person, to give you greater peace of mind lifeline phones and emergency pendants are available.

The lifeline phone, which can also be used as a normal telephone, and the lifeline pendant give you access to a call care centre which provides emergency cover 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The call care centre can offer you advice and reassurance, and in an emergency the centre will call the visiting support officer and the emergency services.

For more information or to apply for a phone and/or pendant contact South Northants Homes

Visiting support officers

If you are disabled or an older person you may be eligible for a visiting support officer to visit you regularly at home. This will be assessed based on your support needs.

Visiting support officers can visit you wherever you live in the district and can offer you help to continue to live independently.

If you would like a visiting support officer to visit you, or for more information about this service, contact South Northants Homes

Related pages

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback