Public rights of way

Current notices and public path orders

Any current notices and public path orders will be posted on our Public Notices page.

Apply to stop up or divert a public right of way

To divert or close (also referred to as stopping up) a public right of way you will need to fill in an application form and provide the relevant documentation and fees.

If you are unable to use the online form or print the pdf, we can send you a hardcopy. Please contact

Supporting documents

Please send the completed application and supporting documents and cheque for the initial fee of £1,200 (made payable to South Northamptonshire Council) to Legal Services, South Northamptonshire Council, The Forum, Moat Lane, Towcester, Northamptonshire, NN12 6AD.

Protection and maintenance

Northamptonshire County Council have responsibility for the protection and maintenance of public rights of way.

They also have a statutory responsibility to maintain and update the definitive map and its accompanying statement. The definitive map is a legal record of the public's rights of way.

For more information see Rights of way.