Discretionary housing payments

If you are receiving housing benefit but are still struggling to pay your rent then you may be entitled to a discretionary housing payment to top up your benefit.

You may be entitled to a discretionary housing payment, for example, if:

A discretionary housing payment cannot be made if:

Discretionary housing payments are not normal awards of benefit. They are made from a limited fund that the Department for Work and Pensions gives to the council each year. Therefore we cannot guarantee that your application will be successful. Each case will be considered on its own merits.

When making a decision we will take into consideration various factors including any special circumstances you may have, any disregarded income that may be available, whether it is possible to reduce your outgoings and whether it is reasonable to expect you to move to cheaper accommodation.

How to apply:

To apply you will need to complete either an online application form or print and and return the download to this office.

Contact details

Email this service
01327 322140

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback