About Council Tax reduction

Consultation on the Council Tax reduction scheme

By law we must consider whether to revise or replace its scheme each financial year. The new scheme must be agreed by 31st January each year.

The 2016/2017 Council Tax reduction scheme

The maximum amount of Council Tax reduction a working age household will receive is 91.5% of their Council Tax liability. This means that most households of working age will have to pay at least 8.5% of their Council Tax.

The government introduced rules to ensure that pensioners (those who have reached the age for state pension credit) are no worse off under Council Tax reduction.

A copy of the 2016/17 Council Tax reduction regulations for both working age and pensioners can be found here:

Second adult rebate

If you cannot get a single person discount because you share your home with other adults you can claim a second adult rebate under the Council Tax reduction scheme. The second adult rebate is worked out on the income of the other adults living with you. You cannot get a second adult rebate if you have a partner living with you or if someone pays you rent to live in your house.

You cannot get both Council Tax reduction and second adult rebate at the same time. If you qualify for both we will award you the one that pays the most.

To find out if you are entitled for help with your Council Tax use our online calculator.

How to make an application for Council Tax reduction

If you wish to make an application for Council Tax reduction you can use the claim forms at the foot of this page or you can telephone 01327 322140 to request a claim form.

We also have a limited fund of exceptional hardship payments set up to help our most vulnerable customers who may be suffering exceptional hardship as a result of the introduction of the Council Tax reduction scheme and who may also be affected by the wider welfare reform.

If you disagree with our assessment of your Council Tax reduction

If you do not agree with any decision we have made in assessing your Council Tax reduction please write to us stating that you would like us to look again at our decision. It is important that you state clearly what you think is wrong with the decision.

Your claim will then be looked at again and we will write to you with our decision.

If you are still not happy after we have looked at our decision you can take your case to the Valuation Tribunal Service. The Valuation Tribunal Service is an independent tribunal made up of people who are not from the local authority.

Change in circumstances

If your situation changes after your Council Tax reduction has been assessed then this may change the amount of Council Tax reduction you should receive. You need to tell us about any changes as soon as they happen.

We need to know if there are any changes in your income or savings including that of your partner and changes in your household.

You can tell us about the changes by completing a change of circumstances form and returning it by post to us.

If you do not tell us you may be paid too much Council Tax reduction and we will ask you to pay the money back.

Links list

Contact details

Email this service
01327 322140

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback