Home swap

For many tenants the quickest way to move is to swap with another council or housing association tenant. This is called a mutual exchange. If you are a secure or assured tenant, you may be able to exchange homes with another secure or assured tenant. You cannot swap your home with tenants in the private rented sector.

How do I find someone to exchange with?

There are a number of house swap websites that can help. Here are two examples:

What happens if I find someone to exchange with?

When you have found an address you think may be suitable you must contact the tenant yourself and discuss the exchange.

You must make sure that you view the property as no repairs (other than those which are the landlord's responsibility) will be carried out.

When you exchange you take on the same tenancy as the tenant you exchange with (this is called a Deed of Assignment). This means that you take on the rights and limitations that apply to that tenancy.

Please contact your landlord for advice if you have found a possible exchange. Your landlord will then tell you if they can approve the exchange and complete the administration. It is very important you do not move until this is done.

For more information on the housing options available to you, please contact the Housing Options Team on 01327 322374 or email housingoptions@southnorthants.gov.uk

Contact details

Housing Options Team
Email this service
01327 322374

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback