Personal Licence

Anyone responsible for authorising the sale of alcohol needs a personal licence.

Personal licences to sell alcohol are 'portable' between different premises throughout England and Wales and are valid for ten years. This allows a personal licence holder to authorise the sale of anywhere that has a Premises licence.

There are different rules for supplying alcohol under a Club premises certificate or Temporary Event Notices (TENs).

How to apply for a personal licence

Anyone can apply for a personal licence. You do not have to be currently employed or have business interests relevant to the use of the licence.

In addition, you must not already hold a personal licence or have applied for a personal licence with us or any other licensing authority.

How to change  details on a personal licence

You have to tell us by law if you a personal licence holder and there is a change to your name and address. Please do this by returning your licence both paper and photo card) to us with a letter advising us of the change, wit the relevant fee.

If you name has changed, you will also need to give us proof of the change, such as a copy of your marriage certificate.

We will then produce new licence documents, and post tem back to you.

How to renew a personal licence

Your personal licence lasts indefinitely.

Further information can be obtained by contacting Licensing on 01327 322278 or by emailing

You can download the forms here:

or alternatively complete them online here: