South Northants in Englands top ten for employment figures
South Northamptonshire Council (SNC) is encouraging local residents to make use of its free Job Club and Job Match services, which help local people into work and provide support for those who find themselves without work.
Unemployment figures released last week (18 July) revealed South Northamptonshire as having the twelfth lowest rate of unemployment by Parliamentary Constituency in the UK (out of 650) and the tenth lowest rate in England (out of 533).
Councillor Rupert Fordham, the council’s portfolio holder for economic development and regeneration, said: “While it’s great that we are one of the lowest areas for unemployment in the country, that doesn’t mean it’s not an issue for local residents.”
“It is a tough time to be looking for a job at the moment and we want to do all we can to help by providing advice, support and training through our Job Club and Job Match services.”
“Working with a number of different partners, we can offer CV advice, help with interview skills, provide information on local vacancies and chances to meet local employers, as well as advice for people who want to start their own business.”
He added: “Job Club and Job Match are invaluable assets for our area and I would encourage anyone to take the plunge, drop in and see what they have to offer.”
The Job Clubs run every Tuesday, from 11:30am to 1:30pm, alternating between Brackley Town Hall and Towcester Town Hall. The next sessions will be 31 July at Brackley and 7 August at Towcester.
More information can be found at http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/jobclub.htm or by calling 01327 322266.
Notes to editor:
1. Coming soon: The Job Clubs are expanding to more rural areas in the coming months, including Roade and Deanshanger. More information at http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/jobclub.htm
2. The Job Club also provides specific help to parents who are looking to get back into work, through its ‘Parent Pathways’ sessions at Towcester Sure Start Children’s Centre. More information at http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/jobclub.htm
3. A full list of the council’s Job Club services is available at: http://www.southnorthants.gov.uk/3340.htm
4. Figures based on “Unemployment by Constituency, July 2012” Research paper 12/41, released 18 July 2012. http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP12-41
5. The ranking is based on the number of unemployed people claiming Job Seekers Allowance, as a percentage of the economically active population (aged 16 to 64) in the constituency. In South Northamptonshire this rate is 1.7%.
For press enquiries contact:
Communications and PR Assistant
South Northamptonshire Council