Celebrating 10 years of recycling at Farthinghoe Reuse and Recycling Centre
The centre provides a place to reuse and recycle a whole host of waste material. Visitors to the new-look ‘reuse barn’, which is part of the recycling centre, will have the chance to buy second-hand items such as furniture, books, records or gardening equipment – or even more obscure items like skis. The proceeds from the barn go towards financing the running of the site, and it also helps to keep items which could be reused out of landfill.
Councillor Dermot Bambridge, portfolio holder for environment and waste management, said: “Farthinghoe had been a great resource for the local residents and during the last decade more than 12,000 tonnes of rubbish has been recycled at the centre.
“I do hope people will come along and help us celebrate the occasion and visit the reuse barn to pick up some real bargains.”
The party will run from 10am to 4pm and there will be the chance to win a home composter in a prize draw, gather expert advice on composting and recycling, find out more about the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance, as well as enjoy some delicious birthday cake.
• Household waste that can be recycled at the centre includes glass bottles and jars, waste engine oil, scrap metal, furniture, domestic and car batteries, TetraPak cartons, all electrical equipment (broken and working), plastic bags, fridges and freezers, plastic bottles, food and drinks cans, rubble, bricks, slabs and tiles, records and bric-a-brac, toilets, baths and sinks, clothes and paired shoes, cardboard and paper, soft furnishings and mattresses with a valid fire label
• The centre cannot accept general rubbish for disposal, carpets, wood, gas cylinders, asbestos, polystyrene or soft furnishings without a valid fire label
• SNC works with the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance to help raise money for the charity by providing the doorstep textile recycling sack service. To date the charity has raised over £13,500 from this.
• Opening times: Summer (April to September) 9am to 6pm seven days a week, winter (October to March) 9am to 4:30pm seven days a week
• Location: on the A422 between Farthinghoe and Middleton Cheney
• Contact details: 01327 322244 or visit www.southnorthants.gov.uk/wasteandrecycling.