Overpayments usually occur because there has been a delay in you telling the council about a change in your circumstances.

If you have been overpaid housing and/or Council Tax benefit we will normally want that money repaid.

We can recover almost all overpayments.

If you have been overpaid we will calculate the overpayment and will write to you to explain:

If you disagree with our decision to recover the overpayment you have the right to ask for the decision to be reconsidered. Please put your request in writing within one calendar month of the date on the decision letter.

Recovery of overpayments:

Council Tax benefit

Council Tax benefit overpayments are recovered directly from your Council Tax account and an amended bill is sent to you.

Housing benefit

Overpayments of housing benefit can be recovered from the tenant, the person to whom payments were made or an appointee.

In all cases the tenant is always notified of the overpayment and the way it is being recovered.

If you remain on benefit we will recover your overpayment from your weekly benefit by deducting an amount each week. You will need to increase the amount you pay your landlord for your rent by this amount. If you do not then you will accrue rent arrears.

If you are not still in receipt of benefit we will send you an invoice.

If you cannot pay in full you can arrange to pay by instalments by credit and debit card, cheque or standing order providing your bank with our bank account details:

National Westminster Bank Plc
Account number 07845537
Sort code 55-70-06.

If you are experiencing difficulty in making payments please contact the Overpayments Officer on 01327 322171 or alternatively you can complete a statement of means form and send this to us.

Failure to repay an overpayment
If you do not repay an overpayment this may result in further action being taken. This may include passing your account to a debt collecting agency, possible county court action or recovery from on-going DWP benefits.

Pay online

Please contact us if you get into any difficulties with your repayments.

South Northamptonshire Council
The Forum
Moat Lane
NN12 6AD

Phone: 01327 322171
Email: benefits@southnorthants.gov.uk

Contact details

Overpayments Officer
Email this service
01327 322171

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback