Deceased person

What to do when someone dies

We understand the difficulties relatives and friends experience and the amount there is to organise when someone passes away. We realise that sorting out your Council Tax will not be at the top of your priorities at such a time however we do not want to apply unnecessary charges to the account. By informing us about a death, we can ensure the correct amendments are made.

If you registered for the "Tell us once" service when registering the death you do not need to do anything else.

If you have not registered then you can inform us of the details by completing the form below.

What happens next with regard to Council Tax?

If the deceased person had a joint liability

If the deceased person had a sole liability

If you are the executor of the will, and the property is unoccupied, you won't have to pay Council Tax until probate has been granted. Following a grant of probate, if the property remains unoccupied and has not been sold or transferred, a further 6 months exemption may be granted.

The Council will grant exemption from Council Tax for a property indefinitely if it was previously owned or rented by the person who has died. To qualify:

The exemption terminates:

The following guides may be found on the relevant websites and provide very helpful information:

Contact details

Email this service
01327 322190

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback