Dangerous structures and demolitions

Dangerous structures

Dangerous structures are primarily the responsibility of their owners. But we are here to protect the public and if the safety of local people is affected by a dangerous structure we will take action.

We prefer to do this by talking, but if action is not taken by an owner we can consider legal action and apply for a Magistrates Court order. The Council can carry out the work and seek to recover the reasonable expenses back from the owner if the court order is ignored.

In some cases the Council may have to take urgent and direct action itself to safeguard the public. Where we can, we will let an owner know what we are doing and give them an opportunity to carry out emergency repairs. If we have to carry out the work we may have to charge the owner for our reasonable costs.


Under the Building Act 1984, you need to let the council know before demolishing a building larger than 50 cubic metres.

We may need you to do extra work during the demolition e.g. supporting exposed walls, disconnecting and sealing drains.

If your building is in a Conservation Area or is a Listed Building you will need special consent. For help with this go to our Online Planning Information.

Demolitions are also covered by the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994. You can get more on this from the Health and Safety Executive on 08701 545500.

Contact details

Building Control
Email this service
01327 322240

How do you rate this page?

Website Feedback